Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Recipe Wednesday - Memorial Day Meal

Cooking Light June 2011 CoverSo I recently purchased the June addition of Cooking Light.  Partly because we are trying to eat healthier around here and partly because the cover just looked soooooo mouth watering!

When I got home I started flipping through and EVERY recipe looked delicious!  I couldn't wait to try.  AND since I didn't have any idea what I wanted to cook for Memorial Day, I was glad to have all of this sudden inspiration!

So, this is what I made.

Appetizer

Veggie Tray with Four-Herb Green Goddess Dressing
Four-Herb Green Goddess Dressing Recipe
Ingredients
  • 1 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • 3 canned anchovy fillets
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2/3 cup fresh parsley leaves
  • 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
  • 1/4 cup fresh chervil leaves (optional)
1. Place first 7 ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Add parsley and remaining ingredients; process until herbs are minced.
This had a nice zing and spice to it! 

Main Course

Orecchiette with Peas, Shrimp, and Buttermilk-Herb Dressing, Tequila-Glazed Grilled Chicken Thighs, and Grilled Corn on the Cob with Roasted Jalapeno Butter

Orecchiette with Peas, Shrimp, and Buttermilk-Herb Dressing
Orecchiette with Peas, Shrimp, and Buttermilk-Herb Dressing Recipe
Ingredients
  • 8 ounces uncooked orecchiette pasta
  • 1 cup shelled green peas (about 1 pound unshelled green peas) or frozen green peas
  • 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
  • 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
  • 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
Preparation
  • 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Add peas and shrimp during last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
  • 2. Combine pasta mixture and radishes in a large bowl. Combine mayonnaise and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Pour over pasta mixture, tossing to coat. Cover and let stand 20 minutes. Serve at room temperature, or cover and chill until ready to serve.
I chose not to use the buttermilk thinking I would end up wasting a huge carton of it when I didn't use the rest.  So I had the bright idea to use milk instead.  Well I think next time I will follow the recipe since the dressing was "lacking" a bit of zip.  Otherwise, this was great and super easy to make!

 Tequila-Glazed Grilled Chicken Thighs
 Tequila-Glazed Grilled Chicken Thighs Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
  • 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skinned
  • 3/4 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/3 cup tequila
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoons water
  • 2 teaspoons grated lime rind
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • Cooking spray
Preparation
  • 1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat using both burners. After preheating, turn the left burner off (leave the right burner on).
  • 2. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; rub evenly over chicken.
  • 3. Bring the pineapple juice, tequila, and honey to a boil in a small saucepan; cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 10 minutes). Combine cornstarch and 2 teaspoons water in a small bowl, and stir well. Add cornstarch mixture to juice mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in lime rind, 3 tablespoons lime juice, and red pepper.
  • 4. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray over right burner (direct heat). Cover and grill for 5 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with juice mixture. Move the chicken to grill rack over left burner (indirect heat). Cover and grill an additional 5 minutes on each side or until done, basting occasionally.
This was also easy to make and another successfull dish!  I will most definately make this again and again.


 Grilled Corn on the Cob with Roasted Jalapeno Butter
Grilled Corn on the Cob with Roasted Jalapeño Butter Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 jalapeño pepper
  • Cooking spray
  • 7 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 ears shucked corn
Preparation
  • 1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
  • 2. Place jalapeño on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cover and grill for 10 minutes or until blackened and charred, turning occasionally.
  • 3. Place jalapeño in a small paper bag, and fold tightly to seal. Let stand for 5 minutes. Peel and discard skins; cut jalapeño in half lengthwise. Discard stem, seeds, and membranes. Finely chop jalapeño. Combine jalapeño, butter, lime rind, honey, and salt in a small bowl; stir well.
  • 4. Place corn on grill rack. Cover and grill for 10 minutes or until lightly charred, turning occasionally. Place corn on serving plate; brush with jalapeño butter.
Once I saw on TV (I think it was Good Morning America) and they recommended to keep the husk on (removing the silk of course) and then apply the butter.  Bring the husk back up around the corn and then grill.  Keeps it from drying out.  I think this is a great idea and till try this next time.  However, this was still great.  Not nearly as spicy as you might think.

And for Dessert.....a little drum roll please......

Cherry-Almond Crisp
Cherry-Almond Crisp Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1 cup dried tart cherries
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 2 pounds sweet cherries, pitted
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Cooking spray
  • 3 2/5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
  • 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract



Preparation
  • 1. Combine dried cherries and boiling water in a small bowl; cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
  • 2. Preheat oven to 375°.
  • 3. Combine dried cherries with soaking liquid, 2 pounds sweet cherries, and the next 4 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a large bowl; stir well. Let stand for 15 minutes.
  • 4. Pour the cherry mixture into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
  • 5. While cherry mixture bakes, weigh or lightly spoon 3.4 ounces flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, almonds, and salt in a medium bowl, and stir well. Combine butter and almond extract in a small bowl, and drizzle over oat mixture, stirring until moist clumps form.
  • 6. Remove cherry mixture from oven, and sprinkle evenly with the streusel topping. Bake an additional 20 minutes or until streusel is golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes; serve warm. 
Yeah......looks terrible don't it!  Needless to say.....big hit.  Even for Renae (shocker)!

So, what do you think?  Not bad huh?  It truely was delicious and looked good too (usually I can't make it as pretty as the pictures but this was fool proof)! 

So, what are you favourite BBQ dishes?  I would love to hear.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! I receive Cooking Light monthly as a x-mas gift from my in-laws. Great magazine!!!

    ReplyDelete